Tue, 15 July 2014
We're well into summer now, which means it's time for one of our favorite episodes - song of the summer. We're playing our picks for the best indie summer anthems. We've also highlighted one song to reign supreme as the actual song of the summer, it's still a little early to tell, but these picks are definitely your best bets for summer songs you won't mind hearing over and over.
Tue, 1 July 2014
The perfect summer BBQ is a sum of all its parts: sunshine, grill, good company, and the perfect playlist. Lucky for you, we’ve taken care of one of those elements for you. The Noise Pop Podcast has put in the work and assembled the ultimate Fourth of July BBQ playlist for you. This hour long playlist follows the ebb and flow of a summer gathering, from the initial excitement, to the gradual climax and then chilled out afterglow. Enjoy!
Tue, 17 June 2014
The Treasure Island Music Festival returns to the Bay, October 18 and 19. The lineup has just been announced and to celebrate, the Noise Pop Podcast is picking their 10 favorite songs from this year's lineup and setting the scene for you. For tickets and more information head to the Treasure Island website. See you on the island!
Tue, 3 June 2014
Keeping up with all the new music that gets released can be overwhelming, there are simply too many options. It’s a full time job to stay on top of it all... fortunately we’ve got the Cliff Notes version for you. The Noise Pop Podcast offers a monthly mix of the absolute best songs that have been released online over the past month. This mix features new music from NP Podcast favorites, Parquet Courts and the hauntingly beautiful JJ, with her most accessible single to date. Follow along with the track list and enjoy the best new music swirling around the internet right now.
1. “Goddess (Jerome LOL Edit)” - Banks, Single
2. “Down On My Luck” - Vic Mensa, Single
3. “Komorebi” - Craft Spells, Nauseau
4. “I Don’t Know You Anymore” - Bob Mould, Beauty & Ruin
6. “Alkaline” - Papertwin, Vox Humana EP
7. “Suffering You, Suffering Me” - SlowClub, Complete Surrender
9. “They Come In Gold” - Shabazz Palaces, Lese Majesty
10. “Hotel” - The Antlers, Familiars
11. “All White Everything” - JJ, V
Wed, 21 May 2014
We know major chords make us feel happy, and minor chords make us feel sad. But beyond that, there is so much more to the composition of a song; it's a careful construction that can conjure up a variety of emotions, from anxiety to exuberance. So this episode, we're diving into the theory behind the songs we love and finding out what makes them so good from a technical perspective.
We decided to do this topic after reading the following articles about music criticism and composition. Check them out:
1. “Don't Play With Guns” -- Black Angels, Indigo Meadow
2. “Blue Moon” -- Beck, Morning Phase
3. “About to Die” -- Dirty Projectors, Swing Lo Magellan
4. “Birthday Song” -- Frankie Cosmos, Zentropy
5. “Water Me” -- FKA twigs, EP2
6. “Broken Heart” -- Dr. Dog, B-Room
7. “Girlfriend” -- Ty Segall, Melted
Tue, 6 May 2014
With so many new tracks in circulation recently, we've had a hard time narrowing down our choices for each episode. So we did things a little differently this episode and created a playlist for you, played all the way through with no interruptions. As much as we love to talk, we'll let the music speak for itself this time. New tracks from Wye Oak, Twin Shadow, Thee Oh Sees (surprisingly!) and a nod to the late DJ Rashad.
Tue, 15 April 2014
Ah tax season. It's dramatic for most Americans - the dread, the procrastination, the thrill of a refund, the defeat of an audit. We've rounded up some of our favorite tax and money themed songs to get you through April 15 and to let you know you aren't alone. In fact, we've even thrown in some tales of a few artists who may hate tax time even more than you do.
1. "Taxman" -- The Beatles, Revolver
2. "What If We All Stopped Paying Taxes" -- Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, Impeach the Precedent
3. "Gonna Make My Own Money" -- Deap Vally, Get Deap!
4. "1040 Blues" -- Robert Cray, Shame + A Sin
5. "Consumerism" -- Lauryn Hill, Single
6. "Who'll Buy My Memories" -- Willie Nelson, The IRS Tapes: Who'll Buy My Memories
7. "Free Money" -- Patti Smith, Horses
8. "Blame It on Cain " -- Elvis Costello, My Aim Is True
9. "Money Trees" -- Kendrick Lamar, good kid, m.A.A.d city
10. "Sunny Afternoon" -- The Kinks, Face to Face
11. "9 to 5" -- Dolly Parton, 9 to 5 and Odd Jobs
Tue, 25 March 2014
It's no surprise that musicians find inspiration in other musicians from time to time. Sometimes that inspiration even earns a shoutout - whether it be in the form of a copied lyric or lick, an homage or a diss. This episode we're playing some of our favorite songs that feature all of the above, from Drake to Okkervil River.
1. "Gimme Sympathy" -- Metric, Fantasies
2. "Plus Ones" -- Okkervil River, The Stage Names
3. "Blonde on Blonde" -- Nada Surf, Let Go
4. "Ben Lee" -- Ataris, Single
5. "Let It Rain" -- Tilly and the Wall, Wild Like Children
6. "Worst Behavior" -- Drake, Nothing Was the Same
7. "Jump" -- Rihanna, Unapologetic
8. "Let's Make Love and Listen to Death from Above" -- CSS, Cansei de Ser Sexy
9. "Feel Good Inc." -- Gorillaz, Demon Days
10. "All I Want" -- LCD Soundsystem, This Is Happening
Tue, 11 March 2014
We had a really hard time narrowing down our choices for new music this week, so we packed this playlist a little more full than usual. This episode features tracks from emerging favorites Cathedrals, Kill J and Franke Cosmos, as well as some new music from some of our favorite indie veterans, Woods, How to Dress Well and Avey Tare.
1. "Bullet" -- Kill J, Single
2. "Birthday Song" -- Franke Cosmos, Zentropy
3. "Words I Don't Remember" -- How to Dress Well, Single
4. "Baby" -- Saint Pepsi, Gin City
5. "Next Level" -- Pool Cosby, Can't Wait
6. "Moving to the Left" -- Woods, With Light and With Love
7. "Interference Fits" -- Perfect Pussy, Say Yes to Love
8. "White Wash " -- Halcyon Drive, Single
9. "Cavity" -- Hundred Waters, N/A
10. "Busy Earning" -- JUNGLE., Single
11. "Little Fang" -- Slasher Flicks., Enter the Slasher House
12. "Harlem" -- Cathedrals, Single
Wed, 26 February 2014
Well, after last week's trip down Heartbreaking Memories Lane, we thought we'd pick things up a bit with a selection of new tracks making noise in the last couple weeks. This week's episode features single release from Emily King and YACHT, cuts off promising new records from Future Islands and Angel Olsen, and lots of other indie goodness.
1. "Slow Down" -- EMBRZ, EMBRZ
2. "Passing Out Pieces" -- Mac Demarco, Salad Days
3. "Plastic Soul" -- YACHT, Single
4. "Distance" -- Emily King, Single
5. "Good Sex" -- Kevin Drew, Darlings
6. "Seasons (Waiting On You) " -- Future Islands, Singles
7. "Chinese New Year " -- SALES, Renee/Tonka Time 7”
8. "Hot Tonight " -- Tokyo Police Club, Forcefield
9. "I’m Not Part of Me" -- Cloud Nothings, Here and Nowhere Else
10. "Forgiven/Forgotten" -- Angel Olsen, Unfuck the Word